The whole area belonged to the Bishop of London in 1647.
The name Maida was first recorded in 1807, the year after
Sir John Stuart's victory over the French at Maida in Calabria
(Italy). The Hero of Maida public house was licensed in 1810
at Maida Hill, which served as the name of a short stretch
of Edgware Road near the new Regent's Canal. Part of that
stretch, including the public house, was known in the mid
19th century as Maida Hill East.
Meanwhile, Maida Hill West became the name of the road along
the southern bank of the canal (from 1939 called Maida Avenue).
By 1828, as building had extended along Edgware Road, a short
stretch beyond Maida Hill was called Maida Vale, which from
1868 was the name of the whole length of the road between
the Regent's Canal and Kilburn. The name was applied popularly
to a district by the mid 1880s, a fact which was recognised
in the cretion of Maida Vale in Paddington metropolitan borough.
In 1851, there were
buildings only in Blomfield Road and in the quadrangle between
that road, Clifton Place (later Villas), and the south end
of Warwick Road enclosing Warwick Place. In 1857 Bristol Gardens
still commanded uninterrupted country views to the north and
In 1880, the most expensive houses in Sutherland Avenue were
worth £1,000 each and the cheapest £200 each.
Avenue, Maida Vale, 1912
Terrace Road, Maida Vale, 1906
Court, Maida Vale 1931
and Blomfield Road at Maida Vale c1910
In 1858 the former
Queen of Oudh lived in Warwick Road West and another Indian,
the Rajah of Coorg, nearby in Clifton Villas. Sir John Tenniel
(1820-1914), the artist and cartoonist, lived from c.1854
in Portsdown Road. Thomas Mayne Reid (1818-1883) died at no
12 Blomfield Road, the poet John Davidson was at no 19 Warrington
Crescent from 1889 until 1909, the radio engineer Sir Ambrose
Fleming at no 9 Clifton Gardens from 1890-1896 and John Masefield
at no 30 Maida Avenue from 1907-1909.
Maida Vale was notable in the late 19th century for its large
number of Jews. In the 1880s, at least 1,000 and possibly
2,000 out of Maida Vale's estimated 10,000 residents were
During the war in 1918 the King and Queen visited Warrington
Crescent after a bomb caused unprecedented damage, destroying
four homes and affecting 140 nearby.
Improvements took place in parts of Little Venice after the
Second World War. It was then that the name came into general
use for the immediate vicinity of the pool, with its island,
where the Grand Union and Regent's Canal met, and for the
banks of the Regent's Canal leading to Edgware Road. Byron,
however, had briefly compared the canal at Paddington with
Venice, to which further reference had been made by Browning,
whose house in Warwick Crescent had overlooked the pool from
the south west, and by 1925 Blomfield Road had been publicised
as 'Venice in Paddington'.
In the 1920s and 1930s Maida Vale continued to be described
as one of London's most desirable suburbs, with 'handsome
piles of residential mansions' and superior detached houses.
In 1981 it was decided to sell the entire Maida Vale estate,
consisting of more than 2,000 properties. The sale was the
most valuable yet undertaken by the Church Commissioners.
London Wide Estates
Your Estate Agents in the heart
of Maida Vale, London. We pride ourselves in offering our customers
top quality and service.